Saturday, July 18, 2009

Moleskine Exchange Phase II

Last week I received Sarah's moleskine in the mail. She had created a clear, spare image consisting of straight, ruled lines in a kind of maze-like grid, a tiny stick figure sitting at a desk, several chess pieces and one collaged-on giant rose. You can see Sarah's rose at the far left hand side of the image below. The rest is my response to her images. You can see these images better here.
I took my cues from Sarah's rose, which struck me as a kind of airy release from the gridded order of the images that preceded it. And I sought to push that release further, into a messy, intuitive burst of imagery. I drew in pencil, tinted my drawings with watery acrylic and collaged on some of the loose bits I have hanging around my studio. Here are some details: